Author and Stylist Shannon Fricke, gets to work on styling her take on one of this season’s key looks, the whimsical Vintage Inspirations trend, and reveals the design icon who influences her work.
“I’m inspired by Elsie de Wolfe – whose brave, eclectic and feminine style is as relevant today as ever. A combination of pattern and colour mixed with mismatched Colonial and French style furnishings and pretty, decorative ornaments – makes for one of a kind interior decoration.”
Convey the femininity and romance of the Vintage Inspirations look in your home with Shannon’s expert styling tips:
- Mix French inspired decorative furniture with industrial, hard edged materials to ensure a truly eclectic base upon which to layer your decoration
- Add whimsy through the details – think lace, tuille, feathers, fabric flowers and braided trims
- Keep your decorative details to a soft, muted colour palette – barely there pink, blue, mauve, and green on a white blank canvas
- Use a diverse range of lighting – including lamps, pendant lights and candles – adds warmth and shadow to a room
- Mix up your upholstery materials – leather, linen and chintz – makes for a rich, diverse and sophisticated interior palette
Is this the look for you? Browse our Vintage Inspiration gallery to discover more on this eclectic style. You might also like to check out more of this season’s coolest trends in our Winter 2012 Look Book.