Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens
The perfect canape for the organised Christmas host, the delectable pikelets, pickled fennel and salmon paté can be made the day before. Simply store in the fridge in covered containers.
Potato pikelets with salmon paté and fennel
Prep time: 20 mins plus 30 mins standing time
Cook time: 25 mins
1 large fennel bulb
1 tbsp salt
½ cup white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp capers, rinsed
2 x 125g cans salmon slices, smoked, drained
250g light cream cheese
2 tbsp horseradish cream
500g Desiree potatoes, peeled
½ cup milk
2 tsp white wine vinegar
½ cup plain flour, sifted
½ cup self-raising flour, sifted
Olive oil spray, for cooking
1. Trim ends and the coarse outer leaves from fennel. Thinly slice and put in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with water and shake off excess. Put vinegar, sugar and capers in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Add fennel and stir to combine.
2. Put salmon, cream cheese and horseradish in a bowl and mix with a fork to make the paté.
3. Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender. Mash and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool. Put milk in a jug, add vinegar and stand for 5 minutes.
4. Add milk mixture, eggs and sifted flours to the mashed potato. Stir with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth. Spray the base of a heavy-based, non-stick frying pan with olive oil spray and heat over a medium heat.
5. Use a quarter-cup measure to scoop the batter into the pan. Cook 3-4 pikelets at a time for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden in colour. Serve pikelets with paté and pickled fennel.
Give your festive fare a touch of flair with these Domayne kitchenware essentials: