One of our favourite MasterChef recipes of all time, this delectable dessert of vanilla parfait, chocolate mousse, chocolate crumb, almond praline and salted caramel is the perfect way to sate your sweet tooth. In a three-round showdown to win the ultimate power advantage, this desirable dish gave contestant Tracy Collins the edge for obvious reasons! Anyone for seconds?
Cookies and Cream
300 ml cream
½ can sweetened condensed milk
1 vanilla bean, scraped
2 egg yolks
125 grams 70% chocolate, melted
55 grams sugar
250 ml cream, whipped to soft peaks
50 grams butter
35 grams sugar
20 grams egg white
55 grams cocoa powder
110 grams slivered almonds
110 grams caster sugar
Salted Caramel Sauce
100 grams caster sugar
150 ml cream
50 grams unsalted butter
salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. To make the parfait, place cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the condensed milk and vanilla bean and continue to whisk until firm peaks form. Transfer to 6 x ½ cup capacity moulds and place in the freezer.
3. To make the chocolate mousse, place egg yolks in a bowl and whisk. Place the sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Heat until sugar syrup reaches 118C. While whisking, slowly pour sugar syrup into egg yolks. Add melted chocolate and whisk until combined. Add whipped cream and fold in until combined. Place in the fridge.
4. To make the cocoa crumb, place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until creamy and well combined. Add egg white and cocoa and beat until combined. Roll mixture between 2 pieces of baking paper to about 3mm thick. Transfer to a baking tray, remove top sheet of baking paper and place in the oven to bake until edges start to darken, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then transfer to a food processor. Process to a coarse crumb. Set aside.
5. To make the almond praline, place almonds on a tray and place in the oven to bake until golden. Whilst the almonds are cooking, place caster sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook until a caramel colour, add roasted almonds, and stir to combine then pour onto a paper-lined tray. Allow to cool, break into pieces and place into a food processor. Process until a coarse crumb. Set aside.
6. To make the caramel sauce, place caster sugar in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons water and set over medium heat. Allow to boil until mixture becomes a light caramel colour. While whisking, slowly add cream. Add butter and salt and stir to combine.
7. To serve, remove parfait from freezer and place one on each plate. Add some chocolate mousse and salted caramel sauce. Sprinkle with almond praline and chocolate crumb.